Sunday 6 September 2009

Finally

... a break through. Since Socnoc, I have been pottering about, trying to decide what to do with the 50,000 word not-bad manuscript I'd produced.

First, I took a couple of weeks off. Then I had Swine Flu. Then I edited what I had written, trimming some of the fat and correcting the egregious errors. Then I though I had a good idea and tried to tease it out. Then I found myself stuck. Then, after procrastinating for another couple of weeks - taking me to near the end of August - I forced myself to start writing again, even though I was still uncertain about how I was going to do whatever it was I was trying to do. Then I got all unhappy, and unwell again and took a few nights off, continually telling myself I'd start writing real soon.

Finally, last night I worked it out. The orginl concept was all wrong. A much simpler, and much bleaker alternative suggested it to me. Which fitted with the whole thematic idea I'd been pursuing. And suddenly I actually want to write again. So it must be good.

No comments: