Tuesday 28 October 2008

Oops, I did it again

I think this happens to me every year.

In October, I make some plans. Usually, they are pretty vague. I'm terrified of over-planning and killing my enthusiasm for a project - I love the sense of exploring a storyline, feeling my way around and tryingto work out what is going on.

The, every year, I tear it up and decide to wing it. ANd once agian, this year, this has been my experience.

I had an idea, and it was a pretty cool one, I thought. I was gonig to write a murder mystery where the fact that there has been a murder would be concealed from the reader until the end. The main character wouldn't mention it, and the other characters would either not know, not care or be actively trying to conceal the fact. The point, ultimately, was that the person was a nobody in the eyes of all the other characters, so his disappearance went unnoticed. Only the main character realises what has happened and sets out to expose the killing. Twist being that the killing isn't referred to directly, so the reader wil be surprised by its revelation.

I still think this is a great idea, only it is not one I can write just now.

So, three days out, I am left without a plot. I'll stick with my seasoned sidekick, Jack Callaghan, but unless the mother of all plot bunnies dashes out from under my feet, I'll be winging it again - with all the horror and confusion that entails.

My only idea so far is to put my money where my mouth is, and start of with a diversion. Jack will attend a party. A wild party, where he'll be very much an outsider. Why he's there, I don't know. What will happen, I don't know. But I'll find out.

No comments: