Monday 10 November 2008

Feeling the burn

Week Two is definately upon me. I can tell because I'm exhausted, dispirited, lost in a plot I don't understand and which doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I'm aware that nano is having a knock on to my 'real' life, because tiredness and confusion don't go away just because you click 'Save' and update your word count. I'm aware of IMPORTANT STUFF not getting done at work, chronic exhaustion affecting my alertness and decision-making, and a creeping depression tainting my life. This is what Week two does to you.

Little voices are starting to whisper in my head, "It's not worth it." More serious voices are question if I shouldn't re-prioritise, take some of the strain off myself. And Nano is the only thing that can go. I tell you this so you know, if you are feeling the same, that it is normal. Every year, round about this stage, thousands of people just give up and walk away, because they decide it is too tough. In all probability, you've got at least 30K to go, and it is natural to wonder if it is possible. Fir 15-20K has taken this much out of you, how will you feel after another 30?

It is natural, but false. 10K to 30K is the worst part, in my experience. Every year, between these two points, I feel like giving up, because it just seems too hard. But if I can carry on slogging to 30K, suddenly it gets a lot more 'do-able,' as the amount written suddenly seems a lot bigger than the amount left to write. So just hang in there, if you are stuggling. Keep on posting the 1667, if that is all you can manage. This is what I am doing at the moment - the bare minimum. If you are behind, stop the rot, try to write a bit extra and catch up. But don't not write up. Keep going. Fail better.

No comments: