Saturday 8 November 2008

Week Two Cometh

I reached my first Nano 08 milestone, reaching 15,000 words (15,021 to be exactm, thank you very much) by the end of Week One.

Right now, I'm on the up-swing. SO far, I've managed to keep myself focused on my mainplot line (albeit, I don't know what it is yet) and some ideas are starting to emerge. ALso, I'm taking my time and not lunging wildly at ideas. It actually feels, kinda like the opening sequence of a novel should do. Though really badly written.

Week Two is traditionally Hell Week for nanoer. A lot of writers burn out in Week Two. Reality kicks in as the giddy thrill of Week One wears off. "Woo-Hoo! I'm writing!" is replaced by "I've got to keep on writing for how much longer?" The build-up of fustrations, mistakes and general disgust at your owen immense uselessness reaches a critical point. Suddenly every little chore that you've been avoiding for months becomes much more interesting.

So eek Two is often where you will win or lose. If you can stay on target through out Week Two, you will probably win - by the end, you'll be on almost halfway. From there on, you can stagger to the winning line. But if you do fall behind, you might find there just isn't time left to catch up.

So it's important to keep focused, turn up, write, hit your targets. Keep on top of things. Continue to be selfish. Slog on.

No comments: