Saturday 9 May 2009

Plugging away, plugging away

Traces is up to 28,500, precisely. Scratches is at 17,138. That makes a combined total of 45,638, which means I'm less than 10,000 words away from the May target of 55,000 words.

It's been ups and downs. I've written one scene for Traces that I knew was going wrong as I wrote it. Tough balancing act between making Donna get drunk and sentimental and making it readable - especially since I'm writing in the first person, present tense. And the scene went on far too long - even though I usually write far more than is needed for each sequence, even by the standard of what has gone before, this sequence is excessive. It sprawls over ten or so pages, about twice the length of previous chapters. I'll need to take the chainsaw to it. But it did serve its purpose - a hole slew of characters introduced and the foundations for sunbsequent scenes and relationships laid.

Oh, and I may have decided who the killer is. Given that I've previously written a murder-mystery that didn't actually include any murder, or mystery, and another where there were plenty of murders, but where the key character wasn't introduced until the scene where he was unmasked, having a killer in mind at 30,000 words is a huge step forward for me ...

No comments: