Sunday 12 April 2009

Double Whammy

Knocked a thousand words out of both Traces and Scratches tonight, which makes me feel very pleased with myslef. That puts the word count for Traces at 15,500 words, and Scratches at 6,400 words.

Which means I'm still well behind on my word count for the month, but there was always heaps of 'holiday' time scheduled. I just didn't plan on using it all up at the start of the month, with mooning about in Taupo and writhing about in agony from my festering tooth.

I'm finding writing two narratives very helpful, as it spurs me on to try to meet my targets. I usually find that I can write one story pretty easily (usually Scratches) and this gives me the impetus to try to hit the target on the other story as well. There's nothing worse than lookingat the dreaded blank page and thinking, "What the hell am I going to write?" when you're struggling with a yarn ... but by giving myself a choice of what to write about, I can either build up some momentum by writing the one I'm finding easier first, which means I can carry on with the next one, or I can dangle the carrot in front of me as I plod through the 'difficult' one first of all, thinking, "If only I can get through this, I'll get to have fuuuuun again ..."

Working so far, at any rate. I imagine it'll backfire at some point, but until then, it's going well.

No comments: